WHAT ARE ZYGOMATIC IMPLANTS?
Zygomatic implants are a type of dental implant used to support dental restorations, such as dental crowns or bridges, for people who have lost teeth due to trauma, disease or other reasons. Unlike traditional dental implants, which are inserted into the jawbone, zygomatic implants are anchored to the zygomatic bone in the cheek area.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ZYGOMATIC IMPLANTS?
- Suitable for patients with severe bone loss: Zygomatic implants are ideal for people who have significant bone loss in their jaw due to advanced periodontal disease, trauma or cancer treatment. Since the implants are anchored to the zygomatic bone, which is denser and more stable than the jawbone, they can provide a strong foundation for dental restorations even in patients with severe bone loss.
- Avoidance of bone grafting: Traditional dental implants require sufficient bone density and volume to support the implant. In cases where the patient has insufficient bone, bone grafting is required to build up the jawbone. However, with zygomatic implants, bone grafting is not necessary, which can save the patient time and money and reduce the overall treatment time.
- Immediate loading: Zygomatic implants can be loaded with a dental restoration immediately after placement, allowing the patient to have a functional and aesthetically pleasing smile right away. This is because the zygomatic bone is denser and more stable, allowing for immediate loading, unlike traditional implants which require a healing period of several months before the restoration can be attached.
- Long-lasting: Zygomatic implants are designed to last for many years and can be a long-term solution for patients with significant bone loss. With proper care and maintenance, zygomatic implants can provide a stable foundation for dental restorations, allowing patients to eat, speak and smile with confidence.
- Improved quality of life: Zygomatic implants can significantly improve a patient’s quality of life by restoring their ability to chew, speak, and smile with confidence. This can also improve their self-esteem and overall well-being, leading to a better quality of life.